The Easiest (And Best!) Vegan Roasted Garlic Cauliflower 'Alfredo' Sauce
THIS ROASTED GARLIC CAULIFLOWER ALFREDO SAUCE RECIPE IS GLUTEN FREE, DAIRY FREE, VEGAN, OIL-FREE.
Some days life throws everything at you and you’ve just got to go home early and make a bowl of creamy, roasted garlic cauliflower Alfredo pasta sauce.
Today, I managed to perfect a vegan roasted garlic cauliflower Alfredo sauce that I have been making for years and never imagined I could improve further.
Creamy pasta goes a long way back for me. Some of my first memories of food involve bowls of plain pasta with cheese on top. Of course, now having developed allergies to dairy, things have had to change a little. This is my ultimate comfort food and any time the weather turns cold, this roasted garlic cauliflower Alfredo sauce and pasta is all I want (okay, and maybe some dark chocolate as well).
HEALTHY ALTERNATIVES: CAULIFLOWER ALFREDO
Traditional Alfredo sauce involves a whole lot of butter, cheese and garlic. While definitely comforting and delicious, this is not the kind of meal that leaves you feeling satisfied and light at the same time. This is where creamy cauliflower pasta sauce makes a star appearance in this Alfredo sauce. The combination with roasted garlic, salty vegetable stock and a hint of lemon comes together to forms one of my most exciting recipes (this literally had me dancing around the kitchen in delight the first time I nailed it!).
I have been making this creamy vegan roasted garlic cauliflower alfredo sauce for a long time, but I always steamed or boiled my cauliflower. Today, for whatever reason, I decided to roast my cauliflower along with the garlic cloves and oh boy did it make a difference! The 'cheesy' vegan cauliflower Alfredo sauce is now even more creamy and flavoursome thanks to the wonders of roasted garlic. It seemed only appropriate after this bout of success to finally share this classic vegan roasted garlic cauliflower Alfredo pasta sauce recipe with you, as it has been such a staple in my repertoire.
For the classic use of this creamy vegan Alfredo sauce: generously ladle over some fresh pasta (I love brown rice macaroni), stir through some peas and top with a sprinkling of my vegan parmesan cheese. If you want to get creative, try using this vegan cauliflower alfredo sauce to replace white sauce in lasagna, use as a vegan bechamel base on pizzas or even as a dip for roast potatoes or corn chips.
File this creamy vegan roasted garlic cauliflower Alfredo sauce away under ‘Emergency Comfort Foods’ because believe me, this pasta sauce can begin to solve all kinds of life problems in just one mouthful.
Roasted Garlic Cauliflower 'Alfredo' Sauce
- 750g cauliflower (roughly a medium head), broken into smaller pieces
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 3/4 cup soaked cashews, water discarded (if you haven’t soaked overnight simply place in a bowl of hot water for 20 minutes while you prepare the other ingredients)
- 1/2 cup almond (or other plant-based) milk (recipe link)
- 1 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 2 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tsp dijon mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
Takes , serves 4 .
- Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F).
- Lay the cauliflower pieces and peeled garlic cloves on a lined baking tray and bake for around 15 minutes until the cauliflower is just soft and the garlic cloves are starting to brown.
- Add all ingredients to a high strength food processor or blender and process until completely smooth.
- Stir the warm sauce through fresh pasta and top with some vegan parmesan cheese.