This icy cold cashew coffee is a vegan treat for a scorching Summer's day.
As summer rolls in I’ve been finding that my (very necessary) piping hot morning coffee is becoming less and less appealing. Still needing that caffeine hit, I have been working on developing the perfect healthy coffee smoothie alternative.
Enter: the cashew-coffee vegan smoothie (with banana!).
Perfectly thick and creamy, this healthy coffee smoothie is the ideal swap for a dairy and sugar-laden iced coffee. Sweetened naturally with banana and dates, this creamy drink packs a 7g plant-based protein punch that will keep you going all morning. And the best part? It tastes a.m.a.z.i.n.g. It may just be the only vegan coffee smoothie recipe you will ever need.
This throw-together only takes 5 minutes, however does require a little bit of preparation to soak some cashews and freeze a banana the night before. It tastes best with espresso coffee but if you don’t have access to a coffee machine instant coffee will work just fine as well. The key to this recipe is to blend the ice first, before adding the other ingredients, to ensure a perfectly smooth consistency. Make sure you only do this if you have a very strong blender or food processor though as less powerful ones may not handle the lack of liquids!
If you're after something a little bit less creamy, definitely try this cold drip coffee made with coconut water - you won't regret it.
Bonus: Why Is This Vegan Coffee Smoothie Made On Cashew Milk?
When it comes to choosing the milk for your healthy coffee smoothie it's critical that you pick a dairy-free milk that you love. Cashews have their own health benefits including (like most nuts) being an excellent source of plant-based protein. Beyond their inherent health benefits, I mostly just love the taste of cashews and it's critical that you pick a milk that makes your taste buds happy. Some of the reasons that I am obsessed with cashew milk in my coffee smoothies include:
- The creamy factor - cashew milk is such a great dairy alternative for vegan smoothies because it is just so thick and creamy. This will give your smoothie that perfect thick and delicious texture
- The taste factor - this is highly personal, but for me, cashew milk goes perfectly with smoothies because of its unimposing taste. Particularly in the case of healthy coffee smoothies, cashew milk lets the true stars shine: coffee; banana; datey goodness.
This is a big factor for me as it is in direct contrast with the likes of soy and almond milk, which can often have an overwhelmingly nutty taste.
- Cashews themselves - of course, when making my cashew milk I tend to get a bit carried away gobbling the cashews themselves. One of the best nuts going around.
Happy drinking and tag us @sproutlystories on Instagram if you give this one a go!
Vegan Coffee Cashew Smoothie
- 2 shots espresso coffee (if you don’t have a coffee machine, simply mix 2 tsp instant coffee with 2 tbsp hot water)
- 1 tray ice cubes
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1 frozen banana (peel and chop into chunks before freezing)
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Coconut flakes, to serve
Takes , serves 2.
- Make the espresso shots and place in the freezer to cool slightly while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Add ice cubes to a high strength blender and process until they’re finely crushed.
- Add all remaining ingredients including the drained cashews and process until smooth.
- Serve in tall glasses with a sprinkling of coconut flakes. Enjoy!