This icy cold cashew coffee is a vegan treat for a scorching Summer's day.
As summer rolls in I’ve been finding that my (very necessary) piping hot morning coffee is becoming less and less appealing. Still needing that caffeine hit, I have been working on developing the perfect iced coffee alternative.
Enter: the cashew-coffee smoothie.
Perfectly thick and creamy, this smoothie is the ideal swap for a dairy and sugar-laden iced coffee. Sweetened naturally with banana and dates, this creamy drink packs a 7g plant protein punch that will keep you going all morning. And the best part? It tastes a.m.a.z.i.n.g. It may just be the only coffee smoothie recipe you will ever need.
This recipe only takes 5 minutes to throw together in the morning, however does require a little bit of preparation to soak some cashews and freeze a banana the night before. It tastes best with espresso coffee but if you don’t have access to a coffee machine instant coffee will work just fine as well. The key to this recipe is to blend the ice first, before adding the other ingredients, to ensure a perfectly smooth consistency. Make sure you only do this if you have a very strong blender or food processor though as less powerful ones may not handle the lack of liquids!
Happy drinking and tag us @sproutlystories on Instagram if you give this one a go!
Vegan Coffee Cashew Smoothie
- 2 shots espresso coffee (if you don’t have a coffee machine, simply mix 2 tsp instant coffee with 2 tbsp hot water)
- 1 tray ice cubes
- 1/2 cup cashews (soaked overnight)
- 1 frozen banana (peel and chop into chunks before freezing)
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- Coconut flakes, to serve
Takes , serves 2.
- Make the espresso shots and place in the freezer to cool slightly while you prepare the other ingredients.
- Add ice cubes to a high strength blender and process until they’re finely crushed.
- Add all remaining ingredients including the drained cashews and process until smooth.
- Serve in tall glasses with a sprinkling of coconut flakes. Enjoy!