This recipe is gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free.
The 25th of April in Australia and New Zealand means a day of remembrance and delicious, oaty Anzac biscuits. This year the traditional treat gets a makeover. Not only is it healthier, it has also become a little fancier with the addition of rosemary, macadamia and lemon. Sprigs of rosemary are traditionally worn on Anzac Day so this recipe incorporates the subtle yet interesting flavour of finely chopped rosemary for something a little different.
Think: oat biscuit meets lemon slice.. Crunchy pieces of macadamia with lemon tartness and a hint of rosemary, these biscuits are the perfect healthy treat this long weekend.
** Please note: This was not a paid post however all ingredients were supplied by Naked Foods.
Rosemary, Macadamia and Lemon Anzac Biscuits
This recipe is gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free and makes around 12 biscuits.
You will need:
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped macadamias
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup brown rice flour (or flour of your choice)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1 tsp vanilla powder
- Pinch salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp bicarb soda
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon
- 1 tbsp finely chopped fresh rosemary
Preheat the oven to 180˚C (350˚F) and line two trays with baking paper
- Add macadamias, oats, flour, coconut, vanilla and salt to a large bowl and stir to combine
- Heat a small pan on low and add coconut oil and maple syrup. Stir gently until combined then remove from heat and add the bicarb soda which will cause the mixture to foam
- Add this foamy mixture along with the lemon juice, zest and rosemary to the flour bowl. Stir gently until everything is combined
- Take tablespoons of the mixture and place on the baking trays, spaced 5cm apart. Use the back of a spoon to flatten the balls into biscuit shapes
- Bake for around 15 minutes until the biscuits are perfectly golden all over but not burned on the edges
- Allow to cool slightly and then transfer biscuits to a cooling rack where they will firm up (if you can wait that long!) Enjoy.
You might also like: