A very last minute Christmas recipe for you all!
It’s only 2 sleeps until Christmas and in true festive spirit, this morning I woke up craving gingerbread. After a few experiments in the kitchen I was left with perfectly crunchy, gingery vegan and gluten free cookies! (And a very full stomach from so much recipe testing!)
Leaving this Christmas idea to the last minute, my local shops were all out of gingerbread men cookie cutters but I managed to get my hands on some candy cane and snowman shapes (gingersnowmen...?). These cookies would be so much fun to decorate if you do happen to have some large gingerbread men shapes around. If I had planned ahead I would have had raisins for buttons and eyes.
This super simple one bowl recipe is the ideal last minute Christmas treat to throw together and munch on while you organise the last of your festivities - wrapping presents is hard work am I right? If you want to save time, these also work really well simply rolled into flat balls and baked as regular cookies.
You’ll love these One Bowl Gingerbread Men because they’re:
And packed with a spicy ginger punch!
One Bowl Gingerbread Men (GF, Vg)
- 1/2 cup tahini
- 3/4 cup coconut sugar (or brown sugar)
- 1 Tbsp. ground ginger (I like it spicy but use less if you prefer subtle ginger)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/4 cup boiling water
- 1 flax egg
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup almond meal
- 1/2 cup tapioca starch
- 1.5 cups brown rice flour (buckwheat or white rice would also work well)
Takes , serves 8.
- Preheat oven to 160°C (320°F) and line two baking trays with baking paper
- Add tahini and coconut sugar to a large mixing bowl. Pour boiling water over the top and mix well until sugar is dissolved
- Add spices, flax egg and salt and mix well
- Slowly add in the 3 flours and mix until just coming together. The dough should be holding together well, not dry or crumby. Add a tiny dash of water or more flour if the consistency isn't right. You will be rolling the dough out so it's crucial to have it right at this stage
- Break the ball of dough in two and lay out a sheet of baking paper on the kitchen bench. Place one ball of dough on the paper and flatten slightly with your palm. Sprinkle lightly with flour and cover dough with a second sheet of baking paper.
- Roll dough out to around 1cm thick, then use your cookie cutters to make shapes
- Carefully place shapes onto prepared baking tray and repeat with all the remaining dough
- Place trays in the oven and bake for around 20 minutes until just golden all over and starting to get crunchy
- Remove gingerbread from the oven and transfer to a wire rack and allow to cool completely.
- Once cool, ice/decorate if you wish and then store in an airtight container for up to a week