These little protein packed flavour explosions are so zesty and summery they will transport to you a far away tropical location on your first bite. I love using fresh lime zest in desserts to really make the flavour pop. I've added some vegan protein powder to these protein balls to make them a perfectly balanced and satisfying snack to take on the run with you.
Super simple to throw together, these little protein balls are the perfect Sunday afternoon activity to set up your healthy eating goals for the week. They are naturally sweetened, packed with healthy fats from cashews and tahini and a little protein to ward of those cravings until lunch/dinner time.
I've made a lot of protein balls in my time but I have to say I think these are the best by a long shot. There is something so surprising about the zesty flavour explosion when you first bit into them, followed by a delicious creaminess from the blended cashews and tahini. I can happily snack on these all day long!
If you've ever had key lime pie you will understand the title choice for these protein balls: tart and zesty balanced out by sweet, creamy filling and crunchy crust. These protein balls honestly taste just like one of these pies, rolled up into a perfect bite-sized, coconut-crusted ball of happiness.
What are your favourite protein ball flavour combos? Let me know in the comments below :)
Key Lime Pie Protein Balls
- 1/2 cup rolled oats (gf if required)
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 5 medjool dates, pitted
- 1 Tbsp. tahini
- 1 scoop vegan protein powder (e.g. pea protein) (optional)
- 1 tsp salt
- Juice and zest of 1 lime
- 1/4 cup desiccated coconut (plus extra to roll in)
Takes , makes around 16 balls.
- Add oats to a high strength food processor and process for around a minute until roughly broken down
- Add dates and process again until the dates are finely chopped
- Add all remaining ingredients (reserve a little coconut for rolling in later)
- Process until just coming together. If the mixture looks a little crumbly add a dash of water or almond milk until it begins sticking together
- Taking heaped teaspoons at a time, roll the mixture between your palms until smooth
- Add desiccated coconut to a shallow bowl and roll each protein ball until covered
- Store in a sealed container in the fridge for up to a week. Enjoy!