Confused about how to eat well? Get one simple, evidence-based nutrition tip weekly to your email - get exclusive access here.
One of my eternal food goals is to get more veggies into my day. High soluble and insoluble fibre content, anti-oxidants, phytochemicals…the list of benefits is infinite. I love sneaking a serve of veggies into sweet foods, especially when they are unnoticeable.
This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is just that - perfectly moist yet fluffy, with chunks of melty dark chocolate and undetectable zucchini. Satisfy your conscience with a serve of greens while meeting your daily chocolate cravings at the same time. Man, I love multi-tasking!
This Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread is honestly so delicious I have made and remade it 4 times in the past 3 weeks – it sure disappears quick! There is currently a 5th loaf baking in my oven which will accompany me to uni tomorrow morning to share with some very lucky friends.
Here’s to multi-tasking!
Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread (Gf, Df, Vg)
- 1 cup raw almonds (or 1.5 cups almond meal)
- 1 cup rolled oats (Gf if needed)
- 2 Tbsp. tahini
- 1.5 Tbsp. coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp. almond milk
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- pinch salt
- 1 organic egg or 1 flax egg
- 1.5 cups raw, grated zucchini (excess liquid squeezed out)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup (or your favourite sweetener)
- 1/2 cup buckwheat or brown rice flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 3/4 cup dark chocolate, broken into small chunks
Takes , serves 8.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and grease a medium sized loaf tin with a little oil
- Add raw almonds and oats to a high power food processor or blender and process until finely ground and resembling flour
- Add almond/oat flour to a large bowl and set aside
- In the same food processor, add tahini, coconut oil, almond milk, cacao and salt and blend until well mixed
- Add chocolate mixture, egg/flax egg, zucchini, maple, flour and baking powder to the bowl and mix until well combined
- Gently mix through the chocoalte pieces
- Pour batter into prepared loaf tin and bake for 35-40 minutes until risen and the loaf springs back when you press lightly
- Remove from the tin and allow to cool slightly before slicing (this will prevent it crumbling). Cut chunky slices and enjoy warm for melted chocoalte goodness, or cooled for crunchy chocolate pieces. Stores well in the fridge for up to 5 days