These cookie sandwiches are a bit of an eclectic mix of many good things. Think Oreo meets matcha latte with a healthy dose of peanut butter. Fluffy cashew cream spiked with green tea powder and some crushed pistachios sandwiched between two chewy chocolate peanut butter cookies. Oh yeah and they’re gluten free, vegan and refined sugar free for those who are that way inclined.
If you wanted an excuse to enjoy these matcha-filled cookie sandwiches - here a just a few!
Green tea has potent anti-viral and anti-microbial effects, both internally and externally. A number of recent studies have shown its effects in reducing facial acne, treating Athlete's foot, reducing the length of infections and preventing infections in the first place. The most exciting part about this research is that while green tea appears to have strong affects against pathogenic organisms, it leaves our own beneficial microbes unharmed and actually serves as a prebiotic (fuel for beneficial probiotics in the gut). This means green tea works as a targeted therapy for a whole range of fungal and viral infections with minimal side effects.
Learn more about the benefits of green tea and other foods by signing up to my exclusive Nutrition Bite Sized newsletter for FREE here.
Chocolate Cookie Sandwiches with Matcha Pistachio Cream
- 1 cup buckwheat or brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup tapioca flour
- 1/2 cup cacao powder
- 1.5 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup 100% peanut butter (or any nut butter)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 Tbsp. coconut oil, melted
Chocolate PB Cookies
Matcha Pistachio Cream
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 1.5 tsp matcha (green tea) powder - feel free to omit this if you're not a green tea fan
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
Takes , serves 8.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F) and line 2 baking trays with baking paper
- Add flours, cacao, baking powder and salt to a large bowl and stir to combine
- In another bowl, add peanut butter, maple, almond milk and coconut oil and whisk until completely smooth
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix well
- Take tablespoons of the mixture at a time and roll into a ball between your palms. Lay the ball flat on the prepared baking tray and use a fork to flatten the ball and add some texture. Continue until you have used all of the mixture
- Bake the cookies for 13-15 minutes, until they have just begun to firm up (they will get crunchier as they cool)
- Meanwhile, make the matcha filling: add the cashews to a high strength food processor and blend for around 5 minutes until a smooth butter forms. Then add the maple, matcha, coconut milk and coconut flour and blend until smooth
- Remove the cookies from the oven and place on a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely before adding the filling
- Take one cookie and spread a generous amount of the filling (around 1 Tbsp.) on the flat side that was touching the baking tray. Sprinkle with crushed pistachios and press them in slightly so that they stick to the filling
- Place another cookie on top of the filling and sandwich together. Continue with all the remaining cookies. These will last for around 5 days in a sealed container. Enjoy!