A delightfully healthy veggie burger recipe that everyone will enjoy.
Lately I’ve been getting back into the habit of making my own almond milk from scratch in the mornings. I love doing this because I have delicious, fresh almond milk on hand but it also means that I’m racking up a lot of leftover almond pulp in my fridge so I’ve been experimenting with new uses for it. I usually dry it out very slowly at the lowest heat in my oven and save it for baking cakes and muffins but I’ve discovered it also works well used as it is.
"A crispy shelled patty that is perfectly soft in the middle and leaves you feeling much lighter than eating a regular burger. "
I came up with these delicious cauliflower burger patties which I have made a few times now because they are so delicious! This recipe is super quick to whip up and the oven baking gives you time to prep other tasty fillings for your burger. I usually use toasted buckwheat bread for my bun but if I’m feeling really inspired I sometimes bake my own burger buns. These burger patties are perfectly well rounded - they pack a plant protein punch from the butter beans, good fats from the almond pulp and even sneak in some extra veggie serves. The result is a crispy shelled patty that is perfectly soft in the middle and leaves you feeling much lighter than eating a regular burger.
This recipe makes about 6-8 patties so you could make a batch for leftovers throughout a busy week or just halve the recipe. I hope you love these and don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @sproutlystories in your photos if you give these a go!
Now, on to the recipe!
You will need:
- 1 flax egg
- 1 can butter beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup raw sunflower seeds
- 2 garlic cloves
- 2 tbsp tamari
- 1/4 cup cauliflower, finely chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms finely chopped
- 2 cups leftover almond pulp from making almond milk (or just use almond meal)
- Handful parsley
- 1/2 cup buckwheat flour
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp apple cider vinegar
- Sesame seeds (for rolling in)
- Preheat your oven to 200˚c
- Mix your flax egg and leave to thicken (click the link for my simple recipe)
- Pulse the butter beans, water, garlic cloves, tamari, sunflower seeds and flax egg in a blender or food processor until just combined, but still fairly chunky
- Add purée to a large bowl with flax egg and all remaining ingredients (except sesame seeds). Mix well.
- Shape mix into burger patties (it should make around 6 - 8 depending on how big you like them)
- Roll each patty in sesame seeds and then set on a lined baking tray
- Place patties in the hot oven for around 40 min, checking on them every 5 - 10 minutes
- You will know these are done because they will have a nice crispy shell on the outside and be soft and delicious in the middle.
- Layer it up on a fresh bun with your favourite fillings. I love mashed avocado, sprouts, hummus, baby spinach and cashew cheese!
What are your favourite burger fillings? Let me know in the comments below :)