Want to learn how to eat better? Get one FREE, evidence-based nutrition tip weekly to your email - get access here.
This Pea Pesto sauce is truely magical. Bright, creamy and zesty, it is an incredibly versatile sauce; spread it on toast, smother over fresh pasta, fold through salads or spoon straight it from the jar (no judgement here!). Extra bonus: basil is so good for you! I often forget that green herbs count as leafy green veg so you can tick off your daily serving with this Pea Pesto. Basil is also a great source of vitamin K, manganese, copper, beta-carotene, vitamin C, calcium, folate and iron. Quite an impressive list!
This pesto has deviated from the classic slightly with the addition of some green peas which add a delicious creaminess with just a hint of sweetness. The peas also give the pesto a nice protein boost - around 4g per serve. Keeping this sauce dairy free, I've used nutritional yeast flakes for the traditional parmesan flavour and a generous glug of olive oil to bring it all together.
I love topping my Pea Pesto Pasta with roasted capsicum (bell pepper) strips, toasted pine nuts and of course a very generous sprinkle of Vegan Parmesan. Feel free to add in some extra protein of your choice, sub out pasta for zucchini noodles or simply use this sauce as a salad dressing or toast topping - endless possibilities! I imagine this Pea Pesto would also work really well mixed through some mashed chickpeas and used as an epic sandwich filling…maybe next time. Store any leftover sauce in a sealed jar or container in the fridge for up to a week - enjoy the creamy, zesty magic.
Watch my recipe video below to become a Pro-Pesto-Pasta-Chef and Stylist in 60 seconds.
Magical Green Pea Pesto Pasta
Pea Pesto Sauce
- 3 cups tighly packed basil leaves, stems removed
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts (place in a warm oven for 10 min until just golden)
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 cup green peas
- 1/2 cup nutritional yeast
- Good pinch of salt
- 2 Tbsp. olive oil
- 2 cups of your favourite pasta (GF if needed)
- 1/2 cup roasted capsicum (bell pepper) strips
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- Vegan Parmesan Cheese (click for recipe)
- Chilli flakes (if you like spice)
- Fresh basil leaves
Takes , serves 2.
- Add washed basil leaves to a high strength food processor and blend until broken down
- Add toasted pine nuts, lemon juice, peas, nutritional yeast, and salt and blend until well combined
- With the motor still running, pour in the olive oil and blend another minute or two
- Meanwhile, prepare pasta according to packet directions, drain and place back in the pot you cooked it in
- Mix Pea Pesto sauce through the fresh pasta and warm over very low heat
- Serve pasta between two bowls and top with roasted capsicum, pine nuts, chilli and vegan parmesan. Enjoy!