This new year I’m focussing on creating small, lasting habits that add to my overall health. It’s so easy to get caught up in making over zealous, poorly defined New Years resolutions like “Get fit”, “Lose weight” or “Eat better”. These resolutions are ideals rather than actionable goals, making them difficult to measure and all too often end up in abandonment.
Instead of focussing on life changing resolutions this January, I’m creating achievable, well planned goals, that slowly but surely add to a healthier way of life.
My goals: quieten my busy mind, and balance my energy levels throughout the day.
I’m achieving these with two simple daily tasks: a 10 minute morning meditation and incorporating balanced snacks between meals. By defining my goals in this way it is easy to measure my success and hold myself accountable.
Having healthy snacks on hand is a great way to balance your blood sugar levels between meals so that you don’t arrive at the next main meal ravenous and end up inhaling your food.
Creating a healthy meal, for me, is about thinking of what nutrition you can add to the meal, rather than what you should go without. Every time you eat is an opportunity to nourish your body - snacking should be no exception. Let’s make our snacks more than just something to get us through to the next meal.
These Supercharged Turmeric Crackers are packed with healthy fats, protein and wholegrains and are so simple to throw together. They contain a healthy dose of anti-inflammatory turmeric and ground flax seeds which have so many wonderful health benefits.
New year, new snacking: let’s do this.
Supercharged Turmeric Seed Crackers (GF, Vg)
- 1/3 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- 1 Tbsp. seseame seeds
- 1 cup rolled oats (GF if needed)
- Good pinch salt and pepper
- 1 Tbsp. fresh/dried mixed herbs (e.g: oregano, rosemary, thyme)
- 1.5 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/4 cup ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup chia seeds
- 1 cup warm water
- 1 Tbsp. melted coconut oil
Takes , serves 8.
- Preheat oven to 180°C (350°F). Line a baking tray with baking paper and rub with a small amount of melted coconut oil or olive oil
- Mix pepitas, sunflower and sesame seeds, oats, salt, herbs and turmeric in a large bowl
- In a small bowl, mix ground flax and chia seeds then slowly add the warm water and whisk well with a fork as it begins to thicken. Add melted coconut oil and whisk again until completely combined (this mixture should now look like a thick gel)
- Pour wet mixture over the dry ingredients and mix well
- Spoon mixture over prepared baking tray and use the back of a large spoon to flatten the mix evenly over the sheet
- Score the mixture with a sharp knife into your desired shape to make it easier to break apart the crackers once they are cooked
- Place in oven for around 30 minutes, until firm to the touch and just beginning to golden
- Remove from the oven and carefully slide onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool for 10 minutes, then break apart into crackers
- Store in an airtight container for up to one week