This week it hit me that I am at that point of semester where all the hours spent cooking and procrastibaking have finally added up. Final exams are on the horizon which sadly means a little less kitchen and a little more desk time. So, it’s back to basics for me and attempting to quieten down the crazy recipe idea part of my brain until I get through exams. The next few weeks are going to be all about batch cooking, simple recipes and making sure my fridge is stocked with healthy staples.
So, I’ll leave you with just a simple staple recipe this week - Chia Berry Jam. I love having a jar of this in the fridge at all times because it adds a burst of sourness to any sweet recipe. It is perfect spread on toast with homemade nut butter (kind of like a very fancy PB&J) and also delicious spooned on top of a smoothie bowl or banana nicecream. If you want to get really creative it could even be used to top some homemade fruit scones like the ones I made in the photo below.
Chia seeds are the perfect thickener for this jam because they absorb a lot of the liquid, making the fruit gel-like and also provide an interesting texture. Feel free to use whichever sweetener you prefer or even go without depending on the sweetness of the berries you choose. This recipe can be made with fresh or frozen berries with similar results. Play around with different flavour combinations. I love following this simple recipe but I sometimes mix it up with additions like fresh ginger or cinnamon. Strawberry and ginger is always a winner! Happy jamming.
Chia Berry Jam
This recipe is gluten free, vegan, refined sugar free and makes one small jar.
You will need:
- 2 cups fresh or frozen berries (I love using strawberries and raspberries)
- Juice of half a lemon
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 - 2 tbsp maple syrup (or sweetener of your choice)
- Add berries and lemon juice to a small pot over medium heat and warm gently until the berries have broken down into mostly juice, stirring every few minutes
- Blend the berries to a puree if you like your jam smooth, otherwise simply leave it as is
- Add chia seeds and sweetener and stir well to combine. Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly (it will thicken as it cools)
- Spread over toast, top smoothie bowls with a spoonful or eat it straight from the pan! Store leftovers in a sealed jar in the fridge for up to 1 week.